Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tips for Making Fitness Happen

Written by Chantayn Winner

Ladies, Let's Get Started!

In any given week, I encounter women wanting to make changes in their lives, yet are allowing various fitness struggles to hinder their vision. Particularly, I often hear how they are challenged in finding enough hours in the day, that there is simply not enough time to exercise or take care of themselves. I understand. I am a working mother with a lot on my plate as well. The most important part of exercise and eating right is to START. That is the key.

You must set up a schedule that will work for you and that it is realistic. Also, be sure your goals are achievable. We often correlate weight loss with exercise or how many trips we took to the gym in any given week. Especially for women, we believe that our fitness goals have to be all or nothing. Or that we need to be an expert on nutrition and diet in order to be successful. The truth is, the smallest steps are the most important steps to success.

Some of the ways in which you can incorporate health and fitness into your busy schedule are easier than you may think. Proper nutrition throughout, eating small meals every 3 hours, will help sustain your energy and mental alertness. For the office, bring healthy foods that you enjoy to snack on. At my desk I often have almonds and protein bars handy for when I simply can't get away. In the break room my co-workers will usually find I have tuna packed in water, hard boiled eggs, low fat cottage cheese and yogurt ready in the fridge.

Between work, family and other demands, finding time for your workout may take a little bit of planning. For some, simply making the mental commitment to set the alarm an hour earlier to workout is the best way to ensure you are getting your needs met without disrupting the daily demands of life. However, what may work for one does not necessarily work for all. Some alternate options may be to take a walk or go to the gym on your lunch hour. Or take the kids to the park after work and use the equipment there to do step-ups, jump squats, pull-ups and sprints. You could even pair up with another mother and rotate gym night so that on one night she works out while you watch the kids and the following evening she returns the favor for you. These are simply suggestions to get you thinking outside of the box. Be creative as there is no right or wrong way to achieving your goals.

No matter what you do, get started! Don't set yourself up for failure by taking on more than you can handle. I have an analogy I like to use and that is baby steps. Baby steps lead into walking which in turn leads to running. This is the same with reaching your fitness goals. And what I like to share with others the most, and what helped me tremendously after my son was born, is that it's really all about choices. I have a choice of what I put in my mouth. I have a choice to workout. Nobody can do this for me, I have to do this for myself. Remember, if you don't take care of yourself, then you won't be able to take care of those who need you as well. So start and don't look back. You can do this!
 
Chantayn Winner is a pro-category figure champion who makes her home in Boise, Idaho. Check out Chantayn's website at: http://www.chantayn.com/

2 comments: